Review, "Badh Bhenge Dao" an acoustic nite by Samantak Sinha (Sunny)

Samantak Sinha & Sougata Basu
22nd December, 2010 
@ The Basement, Kolkata

It was the coldest night this year in Kolkata. The show time was after 9:00 pm. I opened the door of the basement at 8:40 pm. I saw Sunny and his friends standing in front of the performance area. I walked towards them and introduced myself. All of them gave me a worm welcome. Next, I saw Arjun Chakrabarty (Gora) sitting with others. Then after few minutes of sound cheek, Sunny and member of Empty spaces, Sougata Basu started the show with a Rabindra Sangeet, "Godhuli gogone meghe dhekechhilo tara". After that "Sudhu jawa, sudhu alo adhre" and "Boro asa kore asechi". At the end of each songs Sunny bagged a lots of appreciation. After hearing this songs I must say Sunny's singing style make Rabindra Sangeet more interesting to the young generation.    

Samantak & Arjun
Empty spaces is in eve of a new album launch. So, Sunny's next song was the title track of there next album "Abol Tabol". It was one the best songs of empty spaces I have heard till now. The next song was another Rabindra Sangeet, "Keteche ekela birohero bela". This song can touch anyone's heart. So, does mine. More and more songs I have heard last night, brings me more and more enjoyment. Then Sunny has sung a Hindi song, "hos tha…" an original composition of his own. The way this song was represented, I must say that, there will be no surprise if Sunny becomes a big time playback singer in Bollywood. 

Samantak (Sunny)
After these songs Sunny invited Arjun on stage. He is as friendly as we see him in Ganer Opare. There were few fans requesting Sunny for "Rupe tomay bholabona" but Sunny have promised to sing all songs from Ganer Opare in his next show which will be in the month of January, 2011. Date and time will be published soon. 

The time was not in my hand last night so I left the place at 10:20 pm after hearing "je raate mor duarguli bhanglo jhore". The show ended at 11:30pm. Over all it was a compact new age show dedicated to Rabindra Sangeet without harmonium and tabla. If I am a critic then I would have given this show 9 for music, 10 for singing and 7 for entertainment on a scale of 10.    


--By Krishanu Chattopadhyay

Comments